Mango Chutney

MANGO CHUTNEY

Mango is not a fruit that is often seen as part of a keto diet as this wonderful fruit contains so much natural sugar (and therefore carbs).  However, as I've said before, I am not a keto purist, so because I love mango so much, I have worked on recipes where I can have just a small taste to satisfy my mango cravings.  I use the very useful and low carb courgette to replace some of the mango in order to reduce the overall carb count and you cannot tell the difference. This recipe is such an example when I will include a mango dish as part of a lower-carb main meal.  It satisfies my craving and I can keep within my daily carb limit.  This recipe produces a 500g jar of mango chutney, which delivers 20 wonderful tablespoons.  The batch is 53 net carbs, so each tablespoon of this loveliness is 2.5 net carbs each.  Easy to justify!

Ingredients - for a 500g Jar of Chutney

  • 1 ripe Mango (you'll need 300g of mango flesh once the fruit is peeled and de-stoned)
  • 100g Courgette 
  • 100g Bocha Sweet Granular sugar substitute
  • 1 medium clove of Garlic
  • 1/2 medium Red Onion
  • 5cm piece of Fresh Ginger (peeled & roughly chopped)
  • 1 tsp Dried Chilli Flakes
  • Juice of a Small Lime
  • 3 tblsp Cider Vinegar
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
Method
  • Peel and de-stone your mango and then chop the flesh into small pieces
  • Quarter your courgette lengthwise and chop it into small pieces
  • Add the mango, courgette and Bocha Sweet to a pan and bring to a boil stirring continuously. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and continue to cook until the mango and courgette are softened and start to fall apart.
  • Meanwhile, add the remaining ingredients to a Ninja or other blender and blitz to form a soft paste.
  • Stir this soft paste through the mango in the pan and simmer for a further 3-5 minutes to reduce to a chutney texture.  The chutney will thicken slightly as it cools.
  • Taste and adjust chilli, lime etc to taste
  • I like my chutney to have texture, so I don't mash it further, but you can puree the mixture if you prefer a smoother chutney.
  • Decant the chutney into a sterilised jar and keep refrigerated once opened.
Enjoy!

NOTE: I OFTEN ADJUST MY RECIPES WHEN I FIND NEW INGREDIENTS AND WILL UPDATE THE RECIPES ON MY BLOG ACCORDINGLY (RATHER THAN PRODUCING ANOTHER RECIPE), SO PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE MAKING.