Teriyaki Sauce

TERIYAKI SAUCE

Since I discovered Bocha Sweet as a natural alternative to granulated and powdered (icing) sugar, I've re-visited many of my regular home recipes to convert them to a keto version.  One of my favourite things is Teriyaki, but of course it contains sugar and maple syrup (in most recipes).  So, in order to enjoy my favourite sweet, salty and sticky Teriyaki Salmon or Chicken, I've adjusted my regular recipe and here it is.  It literally takes 10 minutes to make and will make a 300ml bottle of Teriyaki. This batch of sauce is 300ml and 13 net carbs, so this equates to 20 tbsp of sauce at 1.5 net carbs per tablespoon.


Ingredients - For 300ml

  • 185ml Soy Sauce (I try to find a lower sugar or gluten-free option)
  • 75ml Water
  • 1/3 Cup of Bocha Sweet granular sweetener
  • 2 Cloves of minced Garlic
  • 2 Pieces of Stem Ginger from this blog - whizzed to a paste with 2 tblsp of stem ginger syrup (or alternatively, you could use ginger paste from the supermarket, but check the net carb content)
  • 1 tsp Sesame Oil
  • 1 tblsp Black Treacle
  • 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
  • 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
Method
  • Place all ingredients (except the Xanthan Gum and Sesame Seeds) in a heavy-bottomed pan and gently bring to a boil.  Simmer gently for 2 minutes.
  • Remove from the heat and whisk in the Xanthan Gum and then gently bring to a simmer again to thicken the sauce.  (It will thicken more as it cools down and loosen up again as it is reheated)
  • Stir through the Sesame Seeds
  • Allow to cool slightly in the pan and then decant into your favourite bottle for storage in the fridge.  It will keep for at least 2 weeks in the fridge.
  • Use as a marinade for your favourite dishes.
  • I pour half a bottle over 2 cubed or whole salmon steaks or 2 cubed or whole chicken breasts to marinade for kebabs griddled on top of the oven or on the BBQ.  Marinade for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight prior to cooking.
Enjoy!

NOTE: I OFTEN ADJUST MY RECIPES WHEN I FIND NEW INGREDIENTS AND WILL UPDATE THE RECIPES ON MY BLOG ACCORDINGLY (RATHER THAN PRODUCING ANOTHER RECIPE), SO PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE MAKING.