Coconut Ice Cream

COCONUT ICE CREAM

Summertime means that you have to have ice cream right?  I was never a lover of ice cream as a child, but now that I make my own, I can think of little better than rich, creamy ice cream with a selection of toppings to suit your mood.  I found it difficult to find coconut ice cream in the shops, so I bought an ice cream maker and set about creating my own version - so here it is!  Keto too at only 2.5 net carbs per scoop!

INGREDIENTS - For 12 Servings

  • 400ml Can of Coconut Milk
  • 250ml Carton of Coconut Cream
  • 280ml Double Cream
  • 150g Bocha Sweet Granulated Sugar
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 3/4 tsp Guar Gum 
  • 2 tblsp plain Vodka
  • A few coconut shreds toasted in a dry pan for topping

METHOD

  • Add all the ingredients to a large bowl and mix well to combine thoroughly and remove any lumps
  • Place in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours and preferably overnight. 
  • Before churning, sieve evenly, the guar gum into the cream mixture and whisk to incorporate well, so it does not clump. Then stir through the vodka.  The guar gum helps to form a soft creamy ice cream and the vodka prevents a hard ice cream and an icy/bitty texture to the ice-cream.
  • Pour into your ice cream maker and churn for 50 minutes.
  • Decant into a freezer-proof container (which you've chilled in the freezer prior to using) and freeze the ice-cream immediately for several hours before eating - For best results and a firmer ice-cream that you can scoop into shape, leave overnight.  If the ice-cream is too soft for you, then make with slightly less guar gum and just 1 tblsp vodka.
  • I always toast a few coconut shreds for a simple topping too!
Enjoy!

NOTE: I OFTEN ADJUST MY RECIPES WHEN I FIND NEW INGREDIENTS AND WILL UPDATE THE RECIPES ON MY BLOG ACCORDINGLY (RATHER THAN PRODUCING ANOTHER RECIPE), SO PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE MAKING.